day 16

I’m sort of loath to buy clothes for work. In fact, I’m sort of in the Mark Zuckerberg/Dean Kamen camp where I’d like to wear the same thing to work everyday without any social judgement. For Zuckerberg, it’s jeans and a black t-shirt and for Kamen it’s jeans and a jean button down shirt. ‘Course, I’m not Zuckerberg or Kamen but what I can get away with is basically a uniform I wear everyday: jeans, top, and cardigan. To that end, I’ve been meaning to make some easy tops to wear and settled on the Scout Tee by grainline. On day 16, I cut out the pattern on a few different cotton fabrics for me to mass sew them later – can’t wait!IMG_20160317_000332

 

day 11-13

After completing the caterpillar base, I spent two nights (days 11 and 12) working on the rest of the bracelet. There was some serious eye strain going on trying to bead with size 11 seed beads but I’m happy with the final result!  It looks like a piece of debris from the ocean, all knotted and tangled.  It also weighs a ton – there’s a LOT of beads on this thing as I looped 11+ beads per base seed bead from the previous day. That’s roughly 2800 beads on top of this thing!IMG_20160313_033412

Day 13 was spent knitting a cowl that I haven’t quite finished yet. And in case you were wondering, I took a day off on Day 10, mostly to pick up my husband from the airport in the evening.  : )

30 days of crafting

Starting March 1st, I’m hoping to set aside a few hours each night to craft and make. I have a back log of kits I’ve acquired over the years and working through them will help declutter my craft room and of course, make room for other supplies.

In the meantime, I’m working on organizing the craft room so I can re-establish it as the micronation of Caitoria. Now that I have access to a laser cutter, I’m hoping to make official ID cards, a laser cut map, and perhaps a flag or sign to hang up. It’s all very hilarious in my head but who knows what it will look like in execution.

vintage handkerchiefs

I was asked by a manager to convert her wedding dress into some handkerchiefs for her daughter’s upcoming nuptials. She had a non-traditional wedding dress made from cotton or muslin with some very pretty embroidery on the bottom. I was able to cut the pieces down to roughly 14.5″ rectangles and hemmed three of the edges down, keeping the original embroidered hem.

stained glass star

I’ve done some copper foiling and soldering before but not technically a stained glass piece. Having a chance to take a one day class, I headed to Madison College to make a simple star.  IMG_20160206_101815Here’s the glass all cut out and edge ground. The square bevels were store bought to keep the class easy and short. I was surprised that no rulers were involved. The first exposure I had to stained glass five years ago made it seem a cork backed ruler was absolutely necessary.IMG_20160206_111136

After copper foiling the edges, the numbered order had to change due to a bit of a shape change by all the pieces. The larger-than-normal push pins kept all the pieces in place while I tack soldered all the pieces together. I soldered the back first, then the front, and ended up with something like this:IMG_20160206_115539

After smoothing out the solder, adding some hooks and washing it of my marks and flux, the finished product against a snowy background. I ended up giving it to my mom for Lunar New Year.

IMG_20160206_134313