Finally into the present for craft projects! In the first round, I made 65 masks for friends and family. I’m still experimenting with which styles but I do like the pleated tie kind right now. Next round may be the more contoured mask and I’ll have to experiment with elastic. I just don’t think they provide as tight a fit as ties do.
I love all things rainbow which of course includes the Rainbow Bridge! I wanted to make a baby quilt showing Asgard and the Bifrost and tried to design something on graph paper and then Excel (my favorite-usually-free-quilting-tool). Not sure it’s obvious though…
I don’t do a lot of clothes sewing anymore (one day!) but I got this great jacket for free from my last job but it was about 1.5 sizes too big for me so I altered the sides and arms to fit me better. I removed the company logo and added a Betan Astronomical Survey patch on it. I’d gotten the patch from a sci fi convention years ago and dusted it off to put on this jacket.
For some friends who like to camp and also were going to have a baby – a postcard blanket of some national parks.
Due to going back to school, I’ve not been keeping up with my craft projects. And once school started, my crafting took a nosedive as well. But here’s a catch-up post of some of the projects I’ve completed in the meantime.
Hogwarts Owl quilt for a baby shower back in July. I put the blanket into a cage with a picture of a similar-looking owl in it and made a tag for Eeylops Owl Emporium.
Another baby blanket for Jacob’s coworker who recently had a baby. They said their baby room was mostly gray and a little blue so I made a simple triangle quilt for them. I think it came out pretty nice considering it was my first time with equilateral triangles.
My mom’s been asking for a quilt and I obliged with a house quilt in some spring-like colors for her. It’s actually not my favorite quilt in terms of the color choices but it’s definitely right up my mom’s alley.
I went to the Wisconsin Quilt Show and told myself I wasn’t going to spend a lot of money. Within 5 minutes of being there, I saw this cityscapes panel and bought it. Oops. Luckily I got to use it right away for an unorthodox baby blanket for a coworker. I ended up stitching up most of the buildings and then the skyline itself.
I started this baby quilt with a totally different fabric. I cut, sewed, and made almost all of the half-square triangles but before I trimmed them, I lost all interest and just stopped crafting altogether. Months and months later, I decided to just start all over with new fabric and I was able to whip through it in about two weeks and roughly 40 hours.
My fabric choices – went for mint green and ice yellow.
Roughly 600+ pieces of fabric.
Quilt top done!
Quilted, washed and dried.
I attended the Fox Valley Sewing & Quilting Expo over the weekend and took a class to learn how to cover an umbrella. The class was taught by Judy Gauthier of Bungalow Quilts and Yarn out of Ripon, WI and the class was fantastic. Judy was wonderful and the class was filled with students from advanced beginner to very experienced but we were all able to finish our umbrellas that day.
The steps were pretty simple: Cut out 8 panels from a pattern, sew a rectangle for the tie and attach. (I still need to add a button and button hole or add some velcro.) It also vaguely reminds me of the Star Fleet symbol which makes me want to make a Trek themed umbrella!
Sew a rolled hem on the bottom of each panel. I think this part took the longest for most people. Some people had a rolled hem foot for their machine but most of us just used out hands to finger press things under. There are many different ways to do a rolled hem including methods that require you to sew three times to get it done but I thought I did a pretty good job for just hand manipulation.
Sewed the panels together.
Attached to the umbrella and sewed in the rib tips after placing them for correct tautness.
And done! Well, about 95% done. I need to glue a piece to the top and waterproof the fabric.